Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's Beginning to Feel Like...

Hello. This morning I am tired. I happy to have Coffee in my hand, and Bon Iver in my ears. I am sitting at my desk and I am thinking. December is already here again. Thanksgiving has come and gone, Christmas is upon us once again. It is funny how different the feeling of the "Holiday Season" changes as you get older. I can distinctly remember this time 14 years ago. I would be counting and re-organizing the presents under the tree for the next 2 weeks. All I could think about was Christmas morning. Sitting in a living room with my family. I can remember that every year they would make me wait to open anything until everyone had their coffee. I would get so annoyed at how long it took people to get coffee. I mean, c'mon people, we got presents to open. I would always get some pajamas. As soon as I opened the festive box filled with great new pajamas (usually from my grandma), I would strip down and put on the new set and where it for the rest of the morning, unless I opened a second pair, then they would get their shot too. I still like the Christmas season, but it is for different reasons. I love the idea of watching my 4 year old niece open presents. My sister posted a status on FB last night that described how Dylann (my niece) has begun to notice all the different Christmas lights on all the houses. Warms my heart. I look forward to spending extended periods of time with my family, who I don't see near enough. I look forward to sitting in church on Christmas Eve with my wife. I look forward to reading the Gospels and reminding myself of the reason for the season. I also look forward to a new year and the promise of good things to come. But things are different now. I won't try on PJs as soon as I open them (Unless they are awesome of course). This Christmas my nieces will be the ones waiting for me to get my coffee before they can tear into their freshly wrapped presents, and let me tell you, I am going to take a LONG time to get my coffee. I paid my due, and so will they! Ha. It will be a good Christmas. I look forward to it. I hope you remember all the memories from this time of year, even if it feels different this season. Peace.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

andrew you're back!! i'm so happy. I can't imagine that you're gonna play the adult when christmas day comes around. surely you will be right there with dylan and mackenzie giving annoying sighs about the adults who are getting their coffee. nice try.